Following are some of the listed open problems in the field of Artificial Life broadly classified into three main categories-
How does life arise from the nonliving?
- Determine whether fundamentally novel living organizations can exist.
- Simulate a unicellular organism over its entire life cycle.
- Explain how rules and symbols are generated from physical dynamics in living systems.
What are the potentials and limits of living systems?
- Determine what is inevitable in the open-ended evolution of life.
- Determine minimal conditions for evolutionary transitions from specific to generic response systems.
- Create a formal framework for synthesizing dynamical hierarchies at all scales.
- Determine the predictability of evolutionary consequences of manipulating organisms and ecosystems.
- Develop a theory of information processing, information flow, and information generation for evolving systems
How is life related to mind, machines, and culture?
- Demonstrate the emergence of intelligence and mind in an artificial living system.
- Evaluate the influence of machines on the next major evolutionary transition of life.
- Provide a quantitative model of the interplay between cultural and biological evolution. Establish ethical principles for artificial life.